Thu, Aug 10|
Searching for a True Move Workshop 3: House Storytelling
How can we utilize the foundations and techniques within House dance to express our own stories? In this four workshop series we'll explore what storytelling can be for dancers, what skills that may require from us as humans, and how the House dance form and culture can help us execute.
Time & Location
Aug 10, 2023, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Private Residence, 291 Prospect Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11238, USA
About The Event
How can we utilize the foundations and techniques within House dance to become more intentional through our kinetic stories? In this four workshop series we'll explore and embody what storytelling could mean in a dance context, and how to become better storytellers ourselves through nonverbal movement. We'll dialogue about what makes a kinetic story, what skills are required for it, and how the House dance form and culture can help us improve our skills.
1. To articulate what kinetic storytelling is for oneself
2. To reveal a better understanding of House dance foundations and techniques
3. To better understand the soulful and choreographic skills necessary for kinetic storytelling
4. To better understand how kinetic storytelling exist in House dance culture
5. To better understand how House dance foundation and technique can be utilized to express more intentional kinetic stories
1. Party, Session, Cypher, and Follow Me Structures will be utilized to warm up our mind, body, soul
2. Prompts, Journaling, and Verbal Dialogue will be utilized to warm up our critical thinking and communal dialogue
3. Games and Exercises will be utilized to work on soulful skills: presence, vulnerability, courage, etc.
4. Choreography through phrases and improvisational structures will be offered to (re)learn basic House dance foundations and techniques
5. Storytelling Circles (cyphers + games) are utilized to experiment and test the clarity of one's kinetic storytelling
Workshop 1 (8/5/23 2-5pm): What is Kinetic Storytelling?
Workshop 2 (8/8/23 6-8pm): House Foundations and Techniques
Workshop 3 (8/10/23 6-8pm): House Storytelling: Surprises
Workshop 4 (8/12/23 2-5pm): House Storytelling: TBA
What Skill Level is this for?
All levels of movement enthusiasts are welcome. If you desire to become a clearer storyteller with your body, then this workshop is for you. The instructor, Quilan "Cue" Arnold, excels in moving at the speed of the individuals in the space while challenging the entire community towards a goal.
1. To register, go to the onCUE Chronicles Shop and select "SFATM: House Storytelling Workshop #1"
2. Fill out registration form
3. Each class caps at ten (10) people. If you register as one of the ten (1/10) but then your plans shift, then please communicate 24+ hours before the workshop so someone else may be able to join the workshop.
5. If you are not one of the first ten, then you will be placed on a waitlist. If there is a cancellation, then we will notify the waitlist through email. The first person to respond will fill the available slot.
For any folks who have a disability, if you are interested in this workshop then please register while communicating what accomodations you may need to participate.